Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Random Debate Thought

I might have more to post tomorrow. But for now:

Seeing McCain and Obama stand and basically lecture a room full of "ordinary people" had an impression on me. This was a room full of humans, just people. And the McCains of the world (and Obamas too, but it struck me when McCain was talking) are so privileged and have so much power. But they're just human like all the other people there. They're just people. They eat and sleep and use the bathroom just the same as everybody else. But they're special because they're powerful. So they have everybody sitting in rapt attention to what they are saying. And what they are saying actually has the potential to change the world. (Well maybe not what they're saying, but what they actually do.)

This is a stupid thought. I mean it's one of those things I would have obsessed about when I was about 11 years old. But it struck me for some reason. I suppose it always has been and always will be this way. It's probably even older than society itself. All advanced animals have social hierarchies. That's basically what we're doing, right? Deciding on pack leaders via bloody fights to the death...or something like that.

(I think maybe I need more sleep.)

No comments: